: RESEARCH SCIENTIST
: NATURAL SCIENCES SECTOR
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Earth System Physics Section, the incumbent will be an active member of the Section, participating in its research, training, educational and outreach activities. The incumbent will build the activities of the Section in the primary areas of emphasis indicated below, by carrying out front-line research, providing guidance and supervision to post-doctoral fellows and other visitors of the Section, teaching, participating in the collective decisions of the Section and contributing to the activities of the Centre as required. In particular, s/he will perform the following duties:
- Undertake front line research and attain international recognition in Earth System Physics with the purpose of improving the understanding of the Earth System and its interactions with human societies. The primary area of emphasis is modelling the role of the oceans in the climate system at global to regional scales.
- Organize and supervise seminars, schools, workshops, conferences, and topical meetings, including the design of innovative approaches to these training activities.
- Teach in the Earth System Physics Diploma program; collaborate with the associates and other visitors of the Earth System Physics Section, in particular those from developing countries; supervise masters and PhD students enrolled in the Sandwich Training Educational Programme (STEP) and other collaborative programs with Universities.
- Contribute to the review of applications and selection of post-doctoral positions, associateships, diploma courses, short and long-term visitors; take responsibility for the visiting and training programs in areas of interest to the Earth System Physics Section.
- Advanced University degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in Geophysical Science, Physics or related disciplines.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant post-doctoral research experience of which preferably 2 years acquired at international level.
- Demonstrated professional experience in the field of Geosciences and related scientific disciplines.
- Experience in scientific programming using advanced FORTRAN language and high-performance computing infrastructure.
- Familiarity with graphics packages for the visualization of scientific results.
- Ability to collaborate effectively within a multicultural environment.
- Excellent analytical skills. Ability to collect, synthesize and analyze information from various sources.
- Ability to communicate effectively on complex technical and scientific issues in English.
- Excellent/very good knowledge of English.
- Experience in the teaching and/or mentoring of undergraduate or postgraduate students.
Experience in the development and coordination of scientific training programmes.